How Strong Is A Piece Of Paper?
We love fun and easy STEM activities! In this challenge, we will test the strength of paper by piling books on top of differently shaped paper columns.
Are you up for the challenge? Let's test the strength of paper!
What you need...
What you need to do...
- Start by asking students how strong they think a piece of paper is.
- Which would be the strongest? Paper shaped in a triangle, square or circle column?
- Give each student a piece of paper and tape and have them fold the paper into the column they think can hold the most books.
- Once their columns are built have them slowly pile books on top of their column.
- Tell students that this challenge is very similar to how columns are used to support buildings and other structures.
- Go around the room and have students explain what shape they built and how many books their column could hold.
We would love to see you try this STEM Challenge. Share your results with us through social media!