How Long Of A Chain Can You Make With One Piece Of Paper?
Have you tried STEM Challenges? They are the perfect way to let students work together. Simply have students work together to build the longest chain they can out of one piece of paper.
How long of a chain do you think you can make?
What you per group...
- One Piece Of Construction Paper
- Roll Of Tape
What you need per student...
What you need...
- A Timer
What you need to do...
- Start by breaking students up into groups of three or solo if distance/virtual learning.
- Before students start ask them to create a team name in their groups. This is a great way to start the discussion between students.
- Once they have created a team name have them write it on their Creator Sheets.
- Next ask students how long of chain do they think they can make out of one piece of paper? Have them discuss in their group and then write down their prediction.
- Remind students that they only get one piece of paper, so they need to plan ahead!
- Have students plan and brainstorm in their groups. Once they know how they will make their chain have them write and draw it on their Creator Sheets.
- Tell students that to make the challenge even harder you are going to set a 30 minute time limit for them to build their chain.
- Give each team their one piece of paper and have them work in their team to create the longest chain possible. Be sure to start the timer.
- When time is up have each team lay out their chain in the front of the room.
- The team with the longest chain wins!
- To finish the challenge have students talk in their groups about how they think they could have made their chain longer.
- Have each student write their final thoughts on their Creator Sheet.
We would love to see you try this STEM Challenge. Share your results with us through social media!