How Far Can Your Straw Rocket Travel?
Straw rockets are fun on their own, but when you add a STEM challenge you make them even better! The challenge is to see how far you can make a paper rocket fly with one puff of air.
What you need per student...
- 1 Straw
- 1 Piece Of Printer Paper
- 6 Inches Of Tape
- How Far Can Your Straw Rocket Travel? Creator Sheet
- Decoration Materials
- Crayons, Stickers, Markers, Etc.
- Measuring Tape
What you need to do...
- Start by taping the measuring tape to the floor and make sure students have all the materials needed.
- Explain to students that for this challenge they must build a straw rocket using the materials provided and it must travel as far as possible.
- Have students make and write down a hypothesis about how far they think their straw rocket will travel.
- Now time to brainstorm! Tell students that there is no wrong or right way to build their rocket.
- Here is a super easy way to make a straw rocket for reference:
- Cut a piece of paper into a 2″ by 4″ piece.
- Decorate the piece of paper.
- Roll the paper strip loosely around the straw.
- Tape the roll along the edge to keep it rolled.
- Fold the top of the paper tube down and tape it.
- Ask students how they will build a straw rocket that can travel far. Once they have their idea, have them draw it on their worksheet.
- At this point have students start to build their straw rocket. Go around the room and assist students as needed.
- To experiment, have students stand on one end of the measuring tape and use a puff of air to launch their straw rocket!
- Help them measure how far their straw rocket went. Have them record their data.
- Once all students have tested out their straw rockets have a class discussion about students' hypotheses. Answer any questions students may have and have them write their analysis from the challenge.
- Finally have them answer if their hypothesis was correct
- Who had the winning straw rocket? Make sure the class gives them a congratulations!
We would love to see you try this STEM Challenge. Share your results with us through social media!