Can You Reshape A Candy Cane?
Do you have candy canes laying around for the holidays? Put them to good use with our STEM Challenge that invites students to practice researching and using their imagination, in a way that will get them excited to reshape a candy cane.
For this challenge, students must find a way to reshape a candy cane. Do you think it’s possible? Can you reshape a candy cane?
What you need per group...
- Candy Canes
- Tongs (optional, but may need something to hold the hot candy canes)
- Blow dryer
What you need per student…
- Can You Reshape A Candy Candy? Creator Sheet
- Pen or Pencil
What you need to do...
- Start by breaking students up into groups of three to four or solo if distance/virtual learning.
- Have students create a team name.
- Tell students that the objective of this challenge is to reshape a candy cane.
- Give each group of students the materials needed.
- Have students write down their team name on their Creator Sheets.
- On their Creator Sheets have students start brainstorming what they think the heat will do to the candy cane after 2, 5, 7, 10, and 15 minutes.
- Have students choose which time frame they want to try first and how they would like to use the blow dryer. Have them write down their answers on their Creator Sheets.
- Students should now share their ideas with their group and combine ideas or pick the idea they think will be the best way to reshape the candy cane.
- Once students have decided how long and how they are going to use the blow dryer, students will begin to heat the candy cane to reshape them.
- After students have melted for the time frame allotted, they will try to reshape the candy cane.
- Have students write down on their Creator Sheet the results and any modifications for the next round.
- If time allows, give students the chance to try again.
We would love to see you try this STEM Challenge. Share your results with us through social media!