Can You Regrowing Veggies From Kitchen Scraps?
Check out our new STEM challenge...perfect for summer learning! Have your kids create renewable food sources from things they already have access to, such as leftover vegetables and kitchen scraps!
What you need per person/group...
- Can You Regrow Veggies From Kitchen Scraps? Creator Sheet
- Old Pieces Of Veggies From A Recent Meal
- Shallow Cup
What you need to do...
- Students will begin by picking groups and/or working independently.
- Have your students take the Creator Sheet and begin to decide which 2-3 items they plan on trying to regrow.
- Students will then take a shallow cup and put about ½ inch of water into the cup.
- Place the 3 veggie scraps inside of the shallow cup.
- You will want to put the cups by a sunny window.
- Track the growth over the next month and record it on the Creator Sheet.
- Remember to regularly change the water, so that it does not get dirty.
- When your veggies begin to sprout roots, you can then transplant them into soil.
- Continue to record and watch your veggies grow!
We would love to see you try this STEM Challenge. Share your results with us through social media!