Can You Keep An Egg Safe From A High Fall?
With summer break right around the corner it’s the perfect time to bring out a STEM challenge! The objective of this STEM challenge is to have students build a container they feel will protect an egg from a high fall.
What do you think, are you up for the challenge? Can you keep an egg safe from a high fall?
What you need...
- Can You Keep An Egg Safe From A High Fall? Creator Sheet
- Raw Eggs
- Construction Materials (Cardboard Boxes, Foam, Newspaper, Glue, Tape, etc..)
What you need to do...
- Start by breaking students up into groups of three or solo if distance/virtual learning.
- Have students create a team name.
- Tell students that the objective of this challenge is to build a container they feel will protect an egg from a high fall.
- Have students brainstorm by themselves how they can protect their egg with the materials available to them. Have them write their ideas on their Creator Sheets.
- Now within their group have them come up with a plan for their design based off their brainstorm ideas.
- Students can draw their design on their Creator Sheets.
- Give each group a raw egg and have them build their container around their egg to keep it safe.
- Time to experiment! Once all eggs are protected have students take turns dropping their creation from a high place.
- Have students check to see if their eggs survived the fall, if not, have students try again and modify their container until their eggs remain unbroken.
- Finish by having students reflect on what they could have done different and what worked the best to keep their egg safe.
We would love to see you try this STEM Challenge. Share your results with us through social media!