Can You Fit Through An Index Card?
"Do you think you can fit through this index card?"
You are going to love your students' reactions when you ask them this question. For this activity, students will practice fine motor skills with scissors. The challenge will be to fit through the index card.
Are you up for the challenge? Can you fit through an index card?
What you need per student...
- 3×5 Index Card
What you need to do...
- Begin by handing each student an index card.
- Ask students if they think they can cut a hole in the index card big enough to fit their bodies through. Follow up by asking them: "Why not?" "Any ideas on how it could be possible?"
- Tell students that you are going to help them learn how to make an index card chain and they will find out if it's possible to fit through an index card.
- At this time make sure students also have a pair of scissors.
- Start by having students fold the index card in half lengthwise.
- Starting at the folded edge, make two cuts on each end. Do not cut all the way to the end and make sure the pieces are still attached to each other.
- Now cut along the fold. You should start at the end cut and stop at the other end cut.
- You are basically cutting a slit in the middle of the index card.
- Start cutting back and forth, spacing each around 1/8 to 1/4 inch apart. Again, do not cut all the way through on the opposite ends.
- Continue cutting back and forth until you fill the card with cuts.
- Remind students to keep the correct pattern of back and forth.
- Have students take their time cutting.
- Once students are done cutting have them gently open up the index card.
- Have them try to fit their bodies through the card! Be amazed!
- Bonus, have students decorate their new card "belt".
We would love to see you try this STEM Challenge. Share your results with us through social media!