Can You Engineer A Rain Barrel?
April Showers Bring May Flowers! Our STEM Challenge is a great way to invite kids to practice researching and using their imagination, in a way that will get them excited to jump into Spring.
For this challenge, kids must create a container to hold and dispense rain water with the given materials.
Are you up for the challenge? Can you engineer a rain barrel?
What you need...
- Popsicle Sticks (40 sticks)
- Cotton Balls
- Aluminum Foil
- String/Pipe Cleaners
- Rainy Day (or salt shaker to make water come down like rain)
- Can You Engineer A Rain Barrel? Creator Sheet
What you need to do...
- Start by telling kids that the objective of this challenge is to engineer a rain barrel, given the materials provided.
- Give kids the materials needed.
- Have kids write their name on their Creator Sheet and ask why they think rainwater is better than tap water?
- Kids will then start brainstorming how they will create their rain barrel using the given materials. Have them write and draw their ideas on their Creator Sheet
- Have them start to create their own inventions!
- After kids have created their own inventions, have them test using water.
- On the Creator Sheet, students will write down any ideas on how they could improve their project, if they wanted to create a new replica.
We would love to see you try this STEM Challenge. Share your results with us through social media!