Can You Engineer a Marble Run?
Remember pinball machines? They are our inspiration for this week's STEM challenge.
This week you will create a marble run with just a few common craft supplies and a marble.
Are you up for the challenge? Let's design marble runs.
What you need per group...
- Can You Engineer A Marble Run? Creator Sheet
- Cardboard Lid
- Toilet paper, or Paper Towel Rolls (empty) or Clay/Playdough
What you need to do...
- Start by breaking students up into groups of three or solo if distance/virtual learning.
- Have students create a team name.
- Tell students that the objective of this challenge is to engineer a marble run
- Students will begin brainstorming the way they want their marble run to be designed, students will create a sketch.
- Keep in mind the following requirements:
- Marble must stay within the “box” or marble run area
- Marble must be able to roll with small tips of the area
- Once the sketch is completed, students will gather the materials that they will use for the design.
- Students will then put the marble run together.
- Once the run is completed, students will be able to test with the marble.
- Make any changes after the first run, and record them on the Creator Sheet.
We would love to see you try this STEM Challenge. Share your results with us through social media!