Can You Engineer A Lava Lamp?
It's surprisingly easy to make a DIY lava lamp and the perfect way to keep your kids learning and having fun over the summer!
What you need per person/group...
- Can You Engineer A Lava Lamp? Creator Sheet
- Bottle (NO LIDS)
- Small Cup
- Baking Soda
- Vegetable Oil
- Food Coloring
What you need to do...
- Students will begin by picking groups and/or working independently. Pass out a Creator Sheet to each student or group.
- Have all items passed out at tables (Empty bottle, small cup, baking soda, vegetable oil, vinegar, food coloring, spoon).
- First step, take your empty bottle and put a few spoonfuls of baking soda at the bottom.
- Have students take a guess on what the baking soda does in this reaction on their Creator Sheet.
- Next students will take the vegetable oil and fill it about two thirds of the way. DO NOT MIX THE ITEMS IN THE BOTTLE.
- In the small cup, take the vinegar and food coloring (roughly 3-4 drops of the food coloring). You only need a small amount at the bottom of the cup.
- Now it is time for some fun! Take the vinegar and slowly add a drop or two at a time into the bottle and see the transformation of your lava lamp.
- If you want to make it a lamp, take your phone light or a flashlight and put it at the bottom of the bottle.
We would love to see you try this STEM Challenge. Share your results with us through social media!