Can You Design And Build A Smartphone Projector?
Looking for a fun way to keep teens learning this summer? Our new STEM challenge will have kids build a smartphone projector they can use over the summer.
What you need per person/group...
- Can You Design And Build A Smartphone Projector? Creator Sheet
- Two Boxes (one smaller than the other)
- A Magnifying Glass Lens
- Black Duct Tape
- Craft Knife Or Cutting Tool
What you need to do...
- Students will begin by picking groups and/or working independently. Pass out a Creator Sheet to each student or group.
- Find a dark room and turn on your smartphone, place the smartphone a set distance away from the lens pointing at a white wall.This will give you the opportunity to see how big you want your picture to be.
- Next we will install the lens (mount it) onto the box, cut your hole and repeat with the second box, using the duct tape to secure the lens.
- Turn the smartphone on light, and then you will make slices within the box to fit your smartphone inside.
- You will now want to cover the box in the black duct tape, so that the light does not bounce off on the inside, and wash out your picture.
- You will then need to set up your smartphone for the projector, you will need to invert your screens.
- Now time to test out the screen!
We would love to see you try this STEM Challenge. Share your results with us through social media!