Can You Deliver Joy To "X" Marks The Spot?
It's the perfect time to spread joy! Our STEM Challenge invites students to practice researching and using their imagination, in a way that will get them excited to help deliver joy to others!
For this challenge, students must create a strategic plan on how to deliver ‘joy’ from the sky! Are you up for the challenge? Can you deliver joy to "X" marks the spot?
What you need per group...
- Cardboard Boxes/Cardstock Paper/Construction Paper
- Tissue Paper
- Cotton Balls/Marbles/Beads (Pretend Joy)
What you need per student…
- Can You Deliver Joy To X Marks The Spot? Creator Sheet
- Pen or Pencil
What you need to do...
- Start by breaking students up into groups of three to four or solo if distance/virtual learning
- Have students create a group name
- Tell students that the objective of this challenge is to deliver the joy, with the most accuracy
- Give each group of students the materials needed
- Students will then write down their group name on their Creator Sheets
- Have students start brainstorming and writing on their Creator Sheets what different ways they would be able to design their parachute for the most accurate landing. Ask them "which type of “parachute” is going to work best; cardboard, construction paper, or cardstock?"
- Have students plan which type of parachute would be the most accurate for landing. Have them write their thoughts on their Creator Sheets
- Students will then within the group choose the best parachute for their team, and begin working on design ideas, on their own papers. Have them draw their ideas in the box provided on their Creator Sheets
- Students will share their ideas with the group, and they will combine ideas or pick the idea they think will be the best accurate parachute
- Once students have decided on a parachute idea, they will begin gathering materials
- Students will then build their parachute. Make sure students attach their "joy" to their parachute for testing
- After students have created their own inventions, have them test by going to a designated spot for testing parachutes (big X marked on the floor)
- On the Creator Sheet, students will write down any ideas on how they could improve their project
We would love to see you try this STEM Challenge. Share your results with us through social media!