Can You Create A New Veggie With Wikki Stix?
This STEM challenge is going to use Wikki Stix! Wikki Stix are made of hand-knitting yarn, the kind you knit baby booties with, and are enhanced with a special non-toxic, food-grade microcrystalline wax, the kind used in bubblegum and lipsticks.
Using Wikki Stix we are going to have some fun with veggies! Wikki Stix stick with just fingertip pressure to any smooth surface, including the pages of a book, paper, posterboard…and more!
For this challenge, students will be able to use their creativity to re-make their favorite veggies.
What you need per group...
What you need to do...
- Start by breaking students up into groups of three or solo if distance/virtual learning.
- Have students create a team name.
- Tell students that the objective of this challenge is to come up with a fun mixture of veggies!
- Students will work together to come up with a new vegetable, by mixing known vegetables together.
- Once students choose the two or three vegetables they will make them with the Wikki Stix.
- After making the original vegetables they will start combining the vegetables to make a “new” vegetable.
- Let the students be creative and mix and match, take apart and put back together.
- As the students put together the vegetables, they will record the name of the new vegetable, what it will taste like and what the best foods to eat it with.
We would love to see you try this STEM Challenge. Share your results with us through social media!