Can You Build A Structure With Only 15 Pencils?
We all have extra pencils laying around, right? Let’s have some fun and use this STEM challenge that will have kids create their own structure, with pencils!
Are you up for the challenge? Can you build a structure 3 inches tall with only 15 pencils?
What you need per group...
- Pencils (15 each group)
- Can You Build A Structure With Only 15 Pencils? Creator Sheet
What you need to do...
- Start by breaking students up into groups of three or solo if distance/virtual learning.
- Have students create a team name.
- Tell students that the objective of this challenge is to build a structure 3 inches tall with only 15 pencils.
- Begin by having students sketch out an idea of how to place pencils to make it sturdy.
- Once students agree with having a set plan, have students start to build the structure.
- As problems arise, students will write them down on the Creator Sheet and give a way to fix the problem.
- Once students complete the project, have students measure and make sure the piece stays standing for at least 60 seconds.
- Write down any last ideas on how they could make the structure better.
We would love to see you try this STEM Challenge. Share your results with us through social media!