Can You Build A Cranking Elevator To Lift A Heavy Load?
We all have ridden an elevator, so let's use our creativity and engineering skills to create one. This STEM challenge will have kids create their very own elevator to lift a heavy load.
Are you up for the challenge? Can you build a cranking elevator to lift a heavy load?
What you need per group...
- 10 Popsicle Sticks
- 2 Paper Towel Rolls (empty roll)
- 2 Toilet Paper Rolls (empty roll)
- 1 Apple
- Can You Build A Cranking Elevator To Lift A Heavy Load? Creator Sheet
What you need to do...
- Start by breaking students up into groups of three or solo if distance/virtual learning.
- Have students create a team name.
- Tell students that the objective of this challenge is to build an elevator that will hold an apple and move up
- Begin by having students sketch out an idea of the way they plan on using the items, and building their elevator that will move up and down.
- Once students agree with having a set plan, have students start to build the elevator
- As problems arise, students will write them down on the Creator Sheet and give a way to fix the problem.
- Once students complete the project, they will take the apple for the final test run to showcase to the class.
- Write down any last ideas on how they could make the structure better.
We would love to see you try this STEM Challenge. Share your results with us through social media!