Can You Build A Bridge Using Only Pennies?
An easy way to keep students focused during this time is to encourage them to create and explore through STEM! Grab some pennies and let's build a bridge.
For this challenge, students must construct a bridge using only pennies. Are you up for the challenge? Can you build a bridge using only pennies?
What you need per group...
- 45 Pennies
What you need to do...
- Start by breaking students up into groups of two or three.
- Tell students that the objective of this challenge is to build a bridge using all 45 pennies and in the shortest time possible.
- Give each group of students 45 pennies.
- Tell students that they get five minutes to brainstorm in their groups how they can build a bridge out of all 45 pennies.
- When the 5 minutes is up have the groups get ready to start the challenge.
- Once all groups are ready, set a timer and see which group can build a bridge out of 45 pennies the fastest.
- A fun way to make this harder for older students is to set constraints about how wide the bridge must be.
We would love to see you try this STEM Challenge. Share your results with us through social media!