Can You Build A Podium For Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.?
Martin Luther King Jr. Day is the perfect time to promote equal rights for all Americans. Our STEM Challenge will teach students about the work of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and celebrate his contribution to the American Civil Rights Movement.
Are you up for the challenge? Can you build a podium for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.?
What you need per student...
- 30 Popsicle Sticks
- Small Jar Of Clay Or Play-Doh
- 3 Inch x 3 Inch Piece Of Index Card
- Paper and Markers
Ready to upgrade your STEM with an award-winning STEM product? Encourage children to imaginatively and practically think through solutions to real-world problems by building structures and environments using the 3DuxDesign award-winning architectural modeling system. Shop 3DuxDesign here.
What you need to do...
- Begin by asking students what they know about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Background: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was an American Baptist minister and activist who became one of the most visible spokesperson and leader in the civil rights movement.
- Explain to students that today they have the challenge of building Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. a podium so that he can give his "I Have a Dream" speech.
- To give students a better understanding play this video of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's "I Have a Dream" speech.
- Set a timer for 10 minutes and have students brainstorm how they are going to build their podium.
- Tell students they get 30 minutes to build their podium for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Start the timer!
- For an added bonus, students can draw their depiction of August 28, 1963.
- During the 30 minutes go around the room and question students on their designs and answer any questions.
- After 30 minutes is up have students display their podium and design to share with their classmates.
We would love to see you try this STEM Challenge. Share your results with us through social media!
I lover this.
We appreciate what he said because it changed our world and because it set things right